Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Every man dies, not every man really lives

Sir William Wallace was a Scottish knight and landowner who is known for leading a resistance during the Wars of Scottish Independence and is today remembered in Scotland as a patriot and national hero. In the 1995 movie, "Braveheart" William Wallace played by Mel Gibson made some remarkable statements. One such statement was, "Every man dies, not every man really lives".

"Every man dies", that is certain, "not every man really lives" that is tragic. As God began to burden me about church planting, one of the motivating factors for me was this statement of William Wallace. As He began to give me a vision for Thorold and the Niagara region, I too began thinking about my life and what I want to invest it into.

I thank God for the ministry I've been in over the last 10 years, I have grown so much, but it is now time to step out and in a real way begin to live like never before. I want to feel the excitement of seeing people who are not followers of Jesus become fully devoted to him. I want to see Christians who have stopped attending a local church passionate again about Jesus and His church. I want to see marriages restored and families reconciled. I want to see people who are in great need cared for and loved and I want to see the marginalized of this world accepted and feel like they belong. I want to feel the excitement of the church being the church as it interacts and lives out Jesus in the world.

I have a vision to be a church that connects people of all walks of life to God, community and their city. My desire is to see people connecting with God through His son Jesus Christ in worship, I want to see people connecting with other people in real dynamic communities where everyone loves, embraces, values and are becoming more like Jesus. I want to see people connecting with their city to serve and bless it in ways that show how much we care and love it. I want to feel passion and compassion for people who are lonely, cast out and poor. They need to know of the blessing of God and the church, the people of God.

Someday I will die, the Bible says that there is a time for that but until then and only God knows that time, I want to live, really live like never before. I want to jump in with both feet and spend my life connecting people to a greater purpose and to a wonderful Savior. How about you? What makes you feel alive, what makes your pulse beat quicker. Give your self away . . . let God use you for His glory, then and only then will you begin to start really living.

No comments:

Post a Comment