Sunday, February 21, 2010

Believe

Well tonight the Canadian Olympic hockey team came up short . . .they lost 5 - 3 to the other team (USA). I think every Canadian that watched this game went into it with high hopes and believed that Canada would come out on top.

"Believe", isn't that the Canadian theme for these Olympics. All over the arena tonight proud Canadians held up signs that said, "I believe" or "We believe". We really believed that we would have won . . . but, well you know, I don't have to say it again, yes I do, we lost. We now are sporting a great big "L". What a disappointment!

So, I guess we should stop believing now. It's over for us, we shouldn't even show up for the next game. Can you imagine if that was how it came down. That would be foolish, yet how many of us quit after a disappointment in our lives. How many of us stop believing about anything when it seems that our world comes crashing down.

The parent who loses a child can stop believing, a business person who loses on a risky investment can stop believing, a child who loses their innocence, they can stop believing. And many do! That is so tragic, so sad, so maddening. People lose heart and stop believing all the time. They take themselves out of the game prematurely, they simply give up and stop enjoying life. Does that sound like you? What has disappointed you so much of late that has stopped you from believing in good, mankind or even God? Sorry, you have to answer that one on your own.

One of the reasons why I am so excited about this church plant is because so many people have stopped believing, they have given up, they have simply chosen to take themselves out of the game because they have been hurt or disappointed. Young and old have just given up. They feel there is just no hope in going on. They have stopped believing that anything can change their lives, that anything could bring them meaning.

Well I believe that hope can be restored, that disappointment can turn into encouragement and that any hurt can be healed. As we begin our journey, I believe that God can do the impossible. He can change a life, heal the broken and set free the prisoner. I believe that the Church By The Canal can be used of God to bring relevancy back into the life of believers in Jesus. I believe that the Church By The Canal can be used to bring many people into a relationship with God through His son Jesus Christ. I believe that God wants to raise up a new church to begin connecting people back to Himself, each other and their world.

I don't know about you but I believe, I believe that God will build His church, that God will bring salvation to the lost, that God will restore the unchurched believer. I believe that God will raise up this church and fulfill the vision that He has put in my heart. Do you believe? God can be trusted and we can believe. My prayer is that whatever has happened to you in life you will not use it to stop you from believing God, His Word and His promises. Let's believe because the God who is able will do immeasurably more than all we ask or even imagine.

I believe that someday the Church By The Canal will be very much alive and be used to bring God glory! Will you believe with me!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for all of these inspirational blogs, Pastor Allan.

    ReplyDelete